The Flip Side

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

baybound
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 7

The Flip Side

Post by baybound »

Morning All

I am surprised that haven't been comments on the new album since its release, unless I cant find them.

Personally, I really like it. Much better than Songs from St E. There are a few tracks I could do without, but equally a few that I think are excellent.

Bob
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Re: The Flip Side

Post by Saltx3 »

There may be some comments mixed in among other threads. Mostly in the "MSC" since that's where a lot of folks stop in each day to "chat".
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
baybound
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by baybound »

Ok,,thanks illk look around more
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by dnw »

I like it. :D

Debbie
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by bralph »

I like it a lot too. I'm glad it doesn't feature any collaborations with country artists and is just Jimmy.
baybound
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by baybound »

bralph wrote: June 3, 2020 10:35 am I like it a lot too. I'm glad it doesn't feature any collaborations with country artists and is just Jimmy.

I agree. I read a review that said it a consistent theme and feel. I am in agreement and that was sorely lacking in Songs from St E.
I like the feel of this one throughout, and well produced
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Overall, I like the new album, with a few exceptions:
Cussin' Island is a novelty song with a shelf life of about 10 minutes.

I didn't like The World Is What You Make It when I heard it live, I don't like the studio version either.

15 Cuban Minutes is the reason the skip button was invented.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by bralph »

LIPH wrote: June 3, 2020 11:36 am Overall, I like the new album, with a few exceptions:

I didn't like The World Is What You Make It when I heard it live, I don't like the studio version either.

I'll admit that I've mostly listened to it in the background while I work, so I haven't listened all that closely. That said, I agree on Cussin' Island. It's the Math Sux of this album. I don't get the hate for 15 Cuban Minutes or The World Is What You Make It though. I like Half Drunk and Slack Tide quite a bit.
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

I'm still waiting on mine from Mailboat, was ordered April 2.
Back to livin' Floridays
SharkysMV1
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonic

Post by SharkysMV1 »

I've given it a few listens, and my initial impression (so far) is I like it a lot more than Buffet Hotel, but at this time, not as much as Songs From St. Somewhere.

Down at the Lah De Dah - great production and audio quality. I really like this song. What a way to open an album!
Who Gets to Live Like this - like the steel drums, but the dark chords dont really jive with me
The Devil I know - the country-ish tinge to this doesn't really fit. It's okay.
Slow Lane - it's okay but I feel like this one will really grow on me
Cussin' Island - nope
Oceans of Time - not bad, this may grow on me as well
Hey, That's My Wave - wanted to love this, because of the tribute to Dick Dale in the liner notes, but it just sounds like the chords to Wild Thing to me.
World is what you make it - meh, not a huge fan of this live and it's a skip for me on the album. Reminiscent of Summerzcool to me.
Half Drunk - this is a fun little diddy that I liked during the shows last year
Slack Tide - probably my second favorite song on the album. It comes close to the imagery JB created on albums like A1A.
Live Like it's your last day - not bad, and I enjoy the Caribbean feel
15 Cuban Minutes - meh, probably a good story but the tempo and vocals come across very cheesy to me. Not a fan.
Book on the shelf - I like this one; a nice tribute to the fans

I'm sure the songs will indeed grow on me in the coming weeks and listens. Right now, there is a bit too much Buffett cheese on the album for me.

I really loved Songs From Saint Somewhere, especially due to the Mark Knopfler-influenced songs and Jimmy's vintage D-18 guitar used on a handful of songs.
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty
Lostarlake

Post by Lostarlake »

bralph wrote: June 3, 2020 1:39 pm
LIPH wrote: June 3, 2020 11:36 am Overall, I like the new album, with a few exceptions:

I'll admit that I've mostly listened to it in the background while I work, so I haven't listened all that closely. That said, I agree on Cussin' Island. It's the Math Sux of this album. I don't get the hate for 15 Cuban Minutes or The World Is What You Make It though. I like Half Drunk and Slack Tide quite a bit.

Cussin' Island may not be a classic by any means, but I'd have to say it's much better than Math Sux! The song is kind of catchy, and at least has a story attached to it. The one thing I don't get w/ Cussin Island, 15 Cuban Minutes, and Live Like It's Your Last Day is why he inserts these brief "raps" in the middle of the songs...it just doesn't fit. He normally does that on maybe 1 song per album, but 3 is a bit much! Agree that Slack Tide is really good, and Book On The Shelf could be a classic. Overall I really like the album so far, but need to give it many more listens before I can really say to what degree.
baybound
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by baybound »

Cussin Island seems to generate a decisive response from people, no muddle of the road. Being a grandpa of 5 I can relate to the lyrics. Maybe that’s true for others who like it

But I absolutely love That’s My Wave, and several others. It’s an upbeat album

My one regret is downloading from ITUNES. no liner notes. I’d like to know the writers, musicians, etc
hangoutgang
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 19
Favorite Boat Drink: Carib lager

Post by hangoutgang »

Good album overall...I can see 'Down at the Lah De Dah' and 'Hey, Thats my Wave' among the new tunes added to the live set list when the tour resumes..'Wave' should be a good live song...looking forward to hearing it...with 'Book on the Shelf' closing out the show. I heard in an interview he spent a few days riding his bike around KW to get back into the mindset he had when he first arrived with Jerry Jeff back in the day before recording 'Flip Side'. Not hearing much 'A1A' or 'Living and Dying' influence on the new album though...more from Fruitcakes/Barometer Soup era. 'Live, like it's your last day' has a 'Diamond as Big as the Ritz' sound to it... but I like them both.

Thanks as always to Jimmy for new music! I wish we didn't have to wait til end of Summer/Fall for the Vinyl release...but should be worth the wait. :D
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

It’s a typical post age 50 JB album. Not near as good as License to Chill or Take the Weather, but as good as the last two or Beach House. There are songs on it I will grow to love and some I won’t.

3 out of 5 phins.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

My favorite line from any song on the album is from Mailbox Money - jump start my Johnson and spread my love around. I know he's talking about the engine on a boat, but that wasn't the first place my mind went. :oops: :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
MICHIPHIN
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Beer

Post by MICHIPHIN »

I am sure if Jimmy thought you would have taken it as such....he would have said "Volvo Penta".... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trying to Reason, With Hurricane Season......
bralph
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by bralph »

LIPH wrote: June 6, 2020 1:07 pm My favorite line from any song on the album is from Mailbox Money - jump start my Johnson and spread my love around. I know he's talking about the engine on a boat, but that wasn't the first place my mind went. :oops: :lol:
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Finally got to listen to it today in the car to/from work.

I enjoyed all of it, to one extent or another, but: No/meh to "The Devil I know", "Cussin' Island", and "Half Drunk".

The rest were just fun, had good musical arrangements, and lots of meaning.

I don't get too detailed - and everyone likes/dislikes something different. :)
RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

In agreement with most comments. It did take listening to several times to better enjoy it.

Can do without Cussin Island - ironic since JB does a lot of "minor" cussing.

The arrangement for The World is What you make it is horrible - Uh Huh, Uh Huh. Have tried just listening for the lyrics and melody and could not find it worth it.

It is definitely an older Jimmy looking at life - as are many of us. So I do overall like the album/CD.
[smilie=battingeyes.gif]
MDShark70
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

Agree with most of the comments here. Lah De Dah is just a fun song that I enjoy. Cussin' Island I don't get at all. Definite skip for me. World is What You Make It was bad in concert last year and it's still bad on the album. I like Mailbox Money a lot. Slack Tide is probably my favorite. Some of the others will definitely grow on me. Book on the Shelf is pretty good. Side note: I had no idea that Mac and Utley's kids were married!

Also, is it just me or does it seem like many of the songs had already started before the actual recording begins? I don't know how to explain it, some of the intros feel weird to me. Probably just me :roll:
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.